You must be a picnic lover, which is why you would want to buy a powerful SUV that can help you tow the small trailers that carry your luggage and extra equipment and provides you with some good sleeping space. Small travel trailers are quite useful as they can give a lot of accommodation with their spacious interior and luxury features. But in order to tow them, you will also require a good SUV that can have enough power to tow your trailer.
In case you want to look for the Best SUV for towing small camper trailers, then we have completed a list of the best SUVs for you that have good towing capacity. These SUVs will help you go through anyplace or location, even in the wildest hunts.
|Dodge Durango||8,700 lbs|
|Nissan Armada||8,500 lbs|
|Ford Expedition||9,300 lbs|
|Lincoln Navigator||8,700 lbs|
|Land Rover Discovery||8,200 lbs|
|Land Rover Discovery|
Best SUV for Towing Small Camper Trailers
Now we move to the best SUVs that you can buy in the market.
1. Dodge Durango
Dodge is known as a famous company for manufacturing powerful vehicles. The Dodge Durango is one of the most powerful SUVs that the company has launched, having a towing capacity of 8,700 pounds with its mighty 3.6-liter V6 engine. This beautiful SUV comes standard with a rear-wheel-drive having an 8-speed transmission.
This is a powerful 4×4 SUV that comes with the following features,
- This SUV has a powerful 4×4 drivetrain that lets you go through any path without stopping.
- It includes an SRT trim level with the proprietary trailer tow group IV package for Dodge.
- The SUV has the power of 470 foot-pounds of torque along with its SRT TRIM level and a Class IV receiver hitch.
- There is also a trailer brake controller, a spare tire, and a 7- and 4-pin wiring harness in case of any emergency.
- It runs with the power of a mighty V8 engine of 3.6 liters.
- The Dodge Durango has a powerful towing capacity of 8,700-pounds.
- It has ABS and driveline traction control that provides improved drive on rough paths.
2. Nissan Armada
Nissan is an automotive engineering company that made its name from its finest sports cars and SUVs that have run in the market since its beginning. Nissan enters the best SUVs category with its greatest model called the Armada. This mighty SUV is one of the best SUVs for towing small travel trailers having enough power to go on and on without stopping anywhere. The Armada has a big 5.6-liter V8 engine under the good that is surprisingly very fuel-efficient.
Some features of Nissan Armada are,
- This is a powerful SUV with a powerful 5.6-Liter V8 engine having 8,500 pounds towing capacity and enough horsepower to tow small travel trailers with it.
- It has a 7-speed automatic transmission that gives you a more comfortable and easy driving experience on your journey.
- The interior of this SUV is beautifully designed with beautiful cutting and curves along with LCD and android systems.
- Nissan offers a special Driver Package with this SUV that helps you get the most out of the Armada by improving and upgrading a lot of things in it like a tow hitch receiver and a critical trailer brake wiring.
- For the additional package, the user can also get a power liftgate and fog lights.
3. Ford Expedition
Ford is another American manufacturer for vehicles that includes one of the finest SUVs coming out of the factory line, such as the Ford Expedition. The Ford Expedition is an SUV for towing small travel trailers because it has a good towing capacity of 9,300lbs. It is a full-size SUV having all the necessary features of an SUV to comfort a small family and provide a good drive on long trips while towing a trailer.
Some features of the Ford Expedition are,
- It comes with a 3.5L EcoBoost engine that generates 400 horsepower, which is enough to help it tow a good weight capacity of 9,300lbs.
- It comes with a built-in BLIS function which is a useful feature used in towing. This feature alerts the user whenever the trailer or any other vehicle gets very close to your SUV.
- It is a full-size SUV with having powerful 4×4 and a boost for getting it out of the trouble.
- It has a spacious room with a very comfortable for a small family to sit and relax on the drive.
4. Lincoln Navigator
Lincoln has its name made from the finest selling product called the Navigator. This luxury SUV has been in production for a long time, and since then, it has been upgraded many times over the years to improve it and make it better than its previous model. The latest Lincoln Navigator is the best SUV for towing small campers due to its powerful 3.5L V6 Engine having a good towing capacity of 8,700lbs.
The features that come with Lincoln Navigator are,
- It is a big SUV with a powerful V6 engine giving a towing capacity of 8,700 lbs.
- The body and stylish of this SUV are beautiful, but the build quality is even better.
- It is a luxury SUV having a beautiful leather interior with multiple color schemes to choose from.
- There are safety and technical features added for avoiding accidents and helping the SUV to be smart enough to avoid damage.
- The company provides a Co-Pilot 360 package that makes it helpful for the driver to drive this SUV on the roads for long trips.
5. Land Rover Discovery
The last SUV in our recommendation list of the best SUV for towing small travel trailers is the Land Rover Discovery. As we all know, Land Rover company has earned great respect over the years for delivering the best quality SUVs to the customers. The Land Rover Discovery is the best-selling and top model that has made its name with its qualities and the features that it has to offer to the driver. This is an ultimate towing machine that can go off-roading as well as on the plain roads to provide you with fun and comfort in one place.
- Discovery has a 3.0L V6 Engine that gives 340 hp, which is just enough to put a high towing capacity of 8,200 lbs.
- The SUV is equipped with lots of features like a wade sensing system that alerts the driver about the depth of the water in case he is crossing a river or stream.
- There are additional other advanced features like a lane-keep assistance feature that keeps the SUV stick to its lane and a cross-traffic alert system.
- It is beautiful on the outside with its exquisite looks as you would recognize any Land Rover vehicle.
- There are lots of high-end safety features that provide comfort and safety for your family that perform well both on and off-road driving.
- There is a Hill descent control that can help you slowly get down any steep hills even when there is a whole weight of a travel trailer behind it.
- There are front and rear parking sensors, cross-traffic detection for the best driving experience.
- It comes with an 8-Speed transmission that has the ability to change its speed according to the required drive area.
So without wasting your time, here is a quick look at what you should check in an SUV before buying a small travel trailer.
Things to Consider Before Buying an SUV for Towing Small Campers
There are few things that you highly need to consider before making a decision to choose an SUV to tow your travel trailers. These things include.
1. Towing Capacity
Towing capacity is the crucial reason you need to consider as the purpose of an SUV is to go through any surface or path without stopping or getting stuck. With the weight of a travel trailer, it’s important for an SUV to have enough power that can pull the trailer anywhere the SUV goes, no matter a mountain or muddy area. So consider an SUV that has a good towing capacity.
2. Engine Type
For starters, it’s also important to choose an SUV that has a diesel engine. The diesel engines are more reliable, and they have more power and long life, which makes the SUV more dependable and suitable to go any place you would want to. It is useful for moving heavy loads like a travel trailer.
3. Four Wheel Drive (4×4)
When you buy an SUV, you would definitely need a 4×4 powered vehicle. The advantage of such an SUV is that it doesn’t get stuck in places, and the power from the engine is equally distributed in all the wheels so that the SUV can tow the trailer as well as get you out of any trouble in case you are stuck somewhere.
This was a discussion about the best SUV for towing small travel trailers. We shared information about each of the best SUVs from different manufacturers that include all the necessary features that are required in them to tow small and lightweight travel trailers. The discussion included all the detail, for more discussion, join the comment section.
Which small-size SUV has the best towing capacity?
The best small-size SUV with good towing capacity is,
- Jeep Cherokee: 4,500 pounds.
- Land Rover Discovery Sport: 4,409 pounds.
- Audi Q5: 4,400 pounds.
- Volvo XC40: 3,500 pounds.
- Toyota RAV4: 3,500 pounds.
What is the best SUV that can pull a travel trailer?
Following are the best SUVs that can pull a travel trailer,
- Ford Expedition.
- Nissan Armada.
- Dodge Durango SRT.
- Lincoln Navigator.
- Chevy Tahoe and Suburban.
- Infiniti QX80.
Which is the best midsize SUV with good towing capacity?
Following are the best midsize SUV with very good towing capacity,
- Mercedes-Benz GLE.
- Land Rover Range Rover Sport.
- Porsche Cayenne.
- Jeep Grand Cherokee.
- Lincoln Aviator.